Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Kitchen Passport

Blog post written by Debbie Lammers

Like most people, I learned to cook at the feet of my parents and grandparents while the family meals were made each night. I strayed far from my childhood home of Queens, New York. Unfortunately, being so far from the east coast means that the ingredients I grew up with are not easily found at my local super mart.

Good thing I live in the age of digital video recorders and over 200 channels available through my DirecTV subscription that I got from one of the best satellite tv providers, DirecTV. Whenever I need inspiration I turn to my favorite chefs: Ina Garten, Rachael Ray, Tyler Florence, Alton Brown and Ingrid Hoffman. These folks are the reason I’m often trying something new in the kitchen and with their different styles I know I won’t get bored.

I especially look for the episodes where they are making something I might know how to make well. Finding good variations can be a life saver. I also look to them when I want to try something completely different like pretty much anything Alton cooks or Ina’s many chicken variations.

The other thing watching the cooking shows is good for is the escape. Cooking gives you a passport you can use to be a world traveler. In one week I found myself on the beaches of Puerto Rico, among the Mayan ruins in Mexico, and watching the sunset in Italy.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

digital video recorders are the latest trend in the home security arena. Unlike VCRs, digital video recorders record video to a computer hard drive or other media like a CD or DVD. This makes a digital video recorder easy to maintain because there are no bulky tapes to change or the risk of losing video quality when recording over previous videos.